Friday, August 12, 2011

Mariscos Cancun - Scott








We've been doing the Dinner Club for a few years now and we rotate the picks. I'm a food guy and pride myself on knowing where's what and what's good in the area. I try to stretch myself with each choice and get us to try something new or unique. I've pulled a few semi-duds along the way so I was hoping to turn the tide with this choice. I came up with Mariscos Cancun, a Mexican Seafood place in Thousand Oaks that Elise and I found years ago and really liked. It's been a while since we'd been and I knew Gregg and Dan hadn't tried it so why not? It's got the true Baja feel to it with authentic decor, chairs and overall vibe. We were greeted with the customary salsa arrangement, spicy soup starter and thick cut tortilla chips. By the time Dan showed up we were already into some cold beers which dance nicely off the spicier of the two salsas. I went all in with the house specialty Whole Red Snapper while Dan had the Camarones Diablo and Gregg the Baja Fish Tacos. Our server was good and steered us to and away from different dishes. I like that. Mine arrived and was quite a sight being a whole fish with the head, eyes and tail still attached. The Diablo lived up to it's name as Dan's shrimp was at the top of my heat envelope. Gregg's Tacos he felt were a tad too battered but otherwise good. I think we all could have used some tortillas but by the time we asked it was toward the end of our meals. My dish was fantastic although the guys might rate theirs as just 'pretty good'. I'd like to hit one out of the park one of these days but I guess I'll have to settle for a double here and there.


No comments:

Post a Comment