Monday, November 7, 2011

The Ranch - Dan


The Ranch is a catering operation located in the T.J. Maxx parking lot in Agoura. It's one of those ever-so-popular places where they do catering in the back and then dish out a little bit of their cuisine out the front, just for the exposure.

So the dining experience there is no frills, but comfortable and nice. It's really just a place to sit and sample what's going on in the back. So its not a place where you're going to spend an evening. Take out and quick hit and run is the essence here.

In any case, Dennis, Gregg, and I gave it a whirl on Thursday night and I think we're issuing it a well-served, "Hell Yeah."

The menu is very small, with the centerpiece being a series of burgers, which are all delightful. All of the basics are there, but with an emphasis on BBQ sauce and onion rings and the like. Standard fare in that regard.

The distinguishing feature of these burgers, however, is the bun. I'm not sure what it is. They're big and fluffy and tasty. I'm sure they have a name, but I don't care. Whatever it is, they put this burger over the top.

Gregg mumbled something about keeping his bloodwork stable and opted for the salad, but you could tell from the look in his eye that he knew he made a grave error by not ordering the burger. Some say that you should live your life so that you have no regrets. Gregg failed that rule miserably and that's tragic. Now, when someone is doing Gregg's euology someday, he can't say "Gregg lived his life to the fullest with no regrets." I'm sorry. Now someone is going to have to stand up in the congregation at Gregg's funeral and speak up and report, "Um, excuse me, but Gregg ordered the salad instead of the burger back in 2011 at the Ranch, and I'm pretty sure he regretted that. Thank you. I'm just sayin'."


So here's the fun part. When we walked in the door we were pretty sure that they don't serve booze at The Ranch, which is pretty much a dealbreaker. And it's true. They don't serve booze there. But Gregg, while joking with the cashier, asked for a Coors Light. She laughed and said no worries, that we could walk down to the liquor store a few doors down and buy whatever we wanted and bring it in. How cool is that? So I walked down to the liquor store and bought a six pack of tall boys and we sat there and had burgers and beer and the cashier even gave us frosted glasses. It was Magical.




No comments:

Post a Comment